Thursday, May 7, 2009

Ruby Holler

Ruby Holler

Written by Sharon Creech

Publisher HarperCollins, 2003

ISBN #: 0-439-45808-0

Summary:
Named the "trouble twins" by the Trepids, caretakers of the children in the Boxton Creek Home, Dallas and Florida have spent their entire lives going from one foster family to the next. As a result, they have learned to become wary of adults and are doubtful that they will ever find a welcoming home. Tiller and Sandy are an older couple who seek companionship, and bring the Dallas and Florida to Ruby Holler in the hopes the children will accompany them on one last adventure. As the children learn to trust their new "parents," they discover that they might have finally found a loving home.
My Thoughts About This Book:
I have wanted to read this book for quite sometime--I think it was the cozy cabin on the cover that intrigued me. This module gave me the perfect excuse. I have been a big fan of Sharon Creech's writing ever since I first read Love That Dog, and this novel was no exception. I enjoy Creech's writing style because she has the ability to make me get lost in her words. When I began reading Ruby Holler, I was immediately there experiencing all of its loveliness as the characters did. The short chapters helped the story move along at a fast pace. I was always left wondering as each chapter ended about what was going to happen. I would look ahead to see that the next chapter wasn't very long, and before I knew it, I was reading one more chapter and then one more until soon the book was done. A good writer has the ability to draw the reader into the story, and Creech certainly did that regarding this story and my ability to get lost in it. I look forward to recommending this title to the numerous Creech fans I have in my school!
Review Excerpts:
From Publisher's Weekly: "This poignant story evokes a feeling as welcoming as fresh-baked bread. The slow evolution of the siblings who are no angels parallels the gradual building of mutual trust for the Moreys. The novel celebrates the healing effects of love and compassion. Although conflicts emerge, readers will have little doubt that all will end well for the children and the grandparently Moreys."


No comments:

Post a Comment