Saturday, May 9, 2009

The Ghost's Grave

The Ghost's Grave

Written by Peg Kehret

Publisher: Puffin Books, 2005

ISBN #: 978-0-14-240819-3

Summary:
Josh must face a summer of living with his aunt while his parents travel overseas for work. Convinced it will be the worst summer ever, Josh quickly changes his mind when he discovers he can see and talk to the ghost of an old miner. Josh finds himself agreeing to help Willie the ghost so he can move on to the next world, but soon wonders if that is the best decision when he finds himself having to dig in an old graveyard.
My Thoughts About This Book:
Based upon the number of times I had checked this book out this year, I knew based on kid standards, this had to be a pretty good book. Once I managed to get my hands on a copy and read it, I discovered it was not pretty good, it was GREAT! The story is fast paced and full of excitement. It was hard not to read this book in one sitting as the action kept you turning page after page, unwilling to stop. The characters were well-developed, and believable--even Willie the Ghost! I particularly enjoyed the character of Aunt Ethel, Josh's colorful aunt who would rather eat breakfast for dinner and dinner for breakfast. In my opinion, this book has everything that kids want in an adventure story---great characters, fast action, and that it is a ghost story. I am looking forward to reading more from Peg Kehret!
Review Excerpts:
From School Library Journal: "This fast-paced and engaging book should be a hit with fans of ghost stories.
Josh is a rich character to whom readers can relate and they will cheer him on as he searches for the truth."

No comments:

Post a Comment