Wednesday, May 6, 2009

April Foolishness

April Foolishness

Written By Teresa Bateman

Illustrated by Nadine Bernard Westcott

Publisher: Albert Whitman and Company, 2004

ISBN #: 978-0-8075-0404-8

Summary:

Grandpa is on his toes as his grandchildren try to trick him by telling him various animals on the farm are loose. Not falling for their tricks, Grandpa continues to eat his breakfast until Grandma pulls a trick of her own. Told in rhyme, this is a great story that is sure to please readers.

My Thoughts About This Book:

From the moment I read this book I loved it. I was anxious to share it with my Kindergarten and First Grade classes to see how the story would be received. I was not disappointed in the reaction I got from this lively rhyming picture book. Students loved the story as much as I did. They quickly got into the story and enjoyed supplying the next word in the rhyme. I am a fan of any book that hooks students in that quickly and holds their interest the entire time it is being read. From the engaging rhyme to Wescott's fun illustrations, this book is the perfect combination for a great primary story time.

Review Excerpts:

From School Library Journal: "Cartoon artwork closely follows the action as the disarray grows, drawing readers into Grandpa's imagination and disbelief. Bold watercolors, punctuated by ink detail, frame the animals' frolic as described in the rhyming verse. Wake up a story time about farm life or save this one for April foolishness."

No comments:

Post a Comment